Thursday, October 15, 2009

The REAL problem with Indie Films.

For anyone following the news on the independent film business they can see that now, more than ever, that industry is struggling to survive. Almost every week there are blogs, newspapers or magazines that are writting some articles about a confrence, festival, or other event where people in the industry debate about how to fix the industry. I think before we try to fix the problem we should try to figure out what the problem really is.


Filmmaker's claim the problem is that many independent distributors (mini-majors, etc) have either gone bankrupt or are no longer acquiring films. The distributors would probably claim the fact that in prior years they were unable to make a profit off the films they did acquire is the problem. I believe both of these are "symptoms" of the problem.


What's the problem? Simple. No one knows, outside the indie festival circuit, what most of these films are or whether they are worth watching. Just because a film comes out on DVD or runs in a theater doesn't mean it's something you or I want to watch. It just means that it came out on video or had a theatrical release.

Some would say I'm talking about marketing. But I'm talking about more than just marketing, though. Real marketing is great. My definition would be "communicating a message about what you have to offer". I's not spin, spam, or manipulation... or atleast it shouldn't be.


But we need more than just marketing/advertising; we need to apply the simple principles of "Tested Advertsing" to reach the right niche market for each film and to build a fan base of support for it. Claude Hopkins (the father of the "coupon") created a simple concept using coupons to track what type of ads (on the coupon) drew the largest amount of customers. By doing this he was able to find out what was the best way to promote a product to the consumer.

If indies were able to have their potential audience, beyond the indie crowd that gathers at the fests, interact with their material and react to it, they would be able to gather info on how to best promote their film. This would help the filmmaker understand who would want it the most. There is an audience out there for every film, some are large audiences, some are small.


The problem that the distributors had was that they would see a film at a fest gain some huge attention, but then wouldn't see the same thing when it was distributed nation wide to the main stream audience. Why would that happen? Simple. The film probably catored better to a niche market amongst the indie crowd and less amongst the main stream crowd. The distributors needed to "test" the film more to see who to really reach out to and how to commicate the message of what the film offers best.


There are tons of distribution avenues that filmmakers can take. Some are considering the DIY approach, others are looking to ideas like openindie.com. My consern is that if your film ends up at a theater, but no one knows about it until it arrives, why would anyone be coming to see it?


Imagine a film like "Blair Witch" builds a huge amount buzz about the film and then was released it for people to watch PPV or with limited commerical interuptions from a site? With a large enough buzz around a film and making it available to everyone at the same time via the internet the filmmaker would potentially make more money than if they had gone through a distributor.



All of these ideas I have been personally wrestling with. Then the answer came to me: change the already existing Twitter-Based Film festival (RebFest.com) into something better that helps the indie filmmaker build a fan base. The new RebFest.com site is still under renovation. When it is complete we will post info about it.



-John W. Bosley

writer/director of "The Allan Carter Saga Part I: AMNESIA" and also the creator of RebFest.com

3 comments:

  1. I'm a filmmaker with a marketing background and have had exactly the same point of view as what you express. I'm working on my plan for one element to approach this dilemma. I will be interested to see your approach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually what you're talking about is marketing, completely. LIke so many industries they try to tack that on at the end when it should be a part of the mix from the very beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently starting out on my first project - a low/no budget horror and how I'm going to sell this is paramount throughout the entire development process. As well as creating a sales pack to entice potential investors, I'm thinking how best to get noticed and so far, Twitter and blogging seems to be the best approach. Add to that sites like Facebook and Myspace as well as traditional poster/flyer campaigns and by the time the film is ready to be shown (I'm thinking September 2010) then there should be a buzz big enough to create some good sales.

    I've decided to go down the DIY aisle and do the distribution myself, rather than try and get someone else to buy into the project (thus reducing my own profit). I'll be aggressively approaching local papers, radio stations and TV news in the hopes of garnering some free promotional time.

    I don't know if this is right; I don't know if this'll work, but I'd rather trust myself to push my film than rely on others.

    ReplyDelete